Friday, January 27, 2012

Nikon D4 vs. Canon 1DX: Video Category



Since last month, two giant camera developers have been battling with their own DSLRs and point-and-shoot cameras, each with unique physical features and image qualities.  Right now, they developed their own flagship, the Nikon D4 and Canon EOS 1DX.  I know that these DSLRs are not built to make videos, but let's see the video comparisons. (courtesy of FenchelJanisch)


This video is shot in full HD by Canon EOS 1DX with Canon 50mm F/1.2 and Canon 85mm F/1.2 at ISO 1600 and shutter speed at 1/50.  As you can see on this video, the Canon EOS 1DX creates an awesome film-look at low light.  Sharpness is okay and the "bokeh" as well.  The focused objects are a little off, but it's good enough.  This must be the cause of its video compression feature - the H.264 video can be switched between all inter frame and IPB with bidirectional prediction to reduce file size.




This video is shot in full HD by Nikon D4 with Nikon 85mm F/1.8G and 14-24mm F/2.8G at ISO 3200.  Same as the video above, it also creates an outstanding film look at low light, but this time the sharpness of the focused objects is better.  Considering the high ISO used, you will notice that the video is not "noisy" or there are no "grains" on the black parts of the video.  This DSLR is simply built for night shots.  Plus, I heard that Nikon D4 has manual sound level controls for video.




Now, for the side-by-side comparison of the videos...




I'm a Canon fan boy myself... I really am.  BUT, in video category, I would say NIKON WINS this time.  If you look closely enough, the images on Nikon are sharper than those of Canon, and the Nikon D4 is has less noise at low light situations than Canon EOS 1DX.

Nikon D4 is planned to be released next month, February 2012 at recommended retail price of $5999.95.  Canon EOS 1DX is expected  to reach dealers in March 2012 with a list price of a slapping $6,800 (body only) and the UK price is expected to be around 5,300.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Hafidh Rahman, a writer of a photography blog. Looking at your posts, I think you do like videography. I've just followed your blog, so please, would you follow my blog back? I need your help about videography and I want to know how to make reviews about video recording capability of some of the latest cameras. We can share a lot. You're a Canon fan, I'm a Nikon user. We'll have plenty to discuss about. Thanks. By the way, this is my blog >> www.exposuredevil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete